House moving is a complicated process and it involves far more than simply boxing everything up and sending it off to your new home. If you want to make the entire process simpler, you need a strategy to manage it all. This is why we recommend creating a house moving schedule. This will keep you on track throughout the process, from packing to choosing a removal service.
Get Out a Calendar
Whether you prefer a digital or paper calendar, you’ll need one you can add information to. This is where your main planning will be done, with electronic reminders before each of your main dates. Ideally, you’ll start preparing for the move at least two months ahead, but less time can work, too, if you plan it well.
Determine What Needs to Be Done
There are many steps to the process of moving house, but you should begin by getting quotes from removal services. They will need to be ready to go on moving day, so it’s important to stay on top of this. Get the quotes and make a decision so you can schedule the removals company early enough to get your chosen date.
You’ll also want to:
- Create a budget. Do this a couple of months ahead of time and plan out all your moving costs. This also gives you some time if you plan to save up money over the next few weeks.
- Determine the best route for movers. The house movers will need to know where to park and which street is wide enough for them. Take some time to scout the area around your new place to figure this out.
- Give notice. You’ll need to let your current landlord know that you’re moving and make any necessary arrangements a couple of months ahead of the move.
- Collect boxes. A month or so ahead of the move, you should begin collecting boxes, as this will let you pack over the coming weeks.
- Ask for help. Depending on whether or not the removal service will help you pack and move everything, you may want to plan for some friends or family members to come over and help you.
- Take inventory. For insurance and moving safety, you should record everything you own and will be taking with you.
- Start packing. As far as six weeks ahead of time, you can begin to pack up the stuff you don’t use all the time. Any furniture you don’t intend to use until the move can be disassembled and moved, too.
Moving house can be a complicated process, but if you have the time, you can plan it all out and ensure you are in the best possible situation for moving. Contact Essex Removals today to learn more.